Shel Maala, your favorite online queer Yeshiva, is coming DOWN FROM THE CLOUD for the *first time ever*, in partnership with Shir Tikvah of Portland, to offer a weekend of prayer, gay content and shtark Talmud learning in the Pacific Northwest.
The weekend of November 10-12, Rosh Yeshivas Xava and Binya will be flying into Portland to lead all this good stuff at East Side Jewish Commons:
Friday Night Kabbalat Shabbat
- 6-7:30 PM at EJC
- Binya and Xava will lead us in welcoming the Shabbos queen with a traditional kabbalat shabbat service.
- Register at this link
Saturday Morning Torah Study
- 9-10 AM at EJC
- Xava will guide Torah study on parshat Xayei Sarah, a parsha which explores themes deeply connected to our weekend’s Talmud sugye of love, loss, life and death.
- No prerequisites or cost, but you’ll probably get the most out of it if you take a moment to read the parshah beforehand.
Saturday Night Havdallah
- 6-7 PM at EJC
- Ease out of Shabbat and into the week with a casual havdallah lead by Binya before we head out on the town for an evening out just socializing.
- No prerequisites or cost, just come!
Sunday Full Day of Learning
- 1-6 PM at EJC
- A full day of xevruta text study at East Side Jewish Commons exploring an incredible piece of Talmud.
- You can come with a study partner, or we’ll pair you up with someone at your level
- Knowing your alefbet is a prerequisite, and we can help you learn it for this class if needed. If you haven’t studied in the Svara method, you’ll be expected to watch an intro video.
- We’ll be studying an amazing Mishna about Hashem, creation, and the wisdom of loss.
- 54$, pay what you can
- Register here
Saturday Torah study and Havdallah are free and open to the public - just show up! Friday night Kabbalat Shabbat is also open to all who register at this link. We cannot WAIT to spend a whole weekend luxuriating in Torah, Talmud and prayer with y’all! You can find detailed information specifically about the Day of Learning here.
If you have any questions please email us at: email@example.com
- ADA Accessible
- Air purifiers, class held in a large and airy atrium
- Xava and Binya will be tested for COVID each day of the full weekend
- Friday Night Kabbalat Shabbat: Masks Required for davenning. Dinner afterwards masks encouraged when possible. Outside eating option pending, weather dependent.
- Saturday Morning Torah Study: Masks encouraged. Zoom option available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday Night Havdallah: Masks required. Outside, mask-encouraged option pending, weather dependent.
- Sunday Learning: Masks required. During pair learning, can unmask if learning outside or in a closed side-room by themselves